Coconut Creek Business Assistance
The City Commission of the City of Coconut Creek hereby establishes this program to assist the City’s local business community by providing a range of grant opportunities specially designed to address their needs during this unprecedented pandemic. The programs provided are intended to be complementary to those offered by the State and Federal Governments.
The primary purpose of the program is to ensure the businesses that are deemed essential are able to continue to function during this time and that all other businesses that have been forced to close temporarily or to radically change their business models are able to survive during this period and are supported through the closures and into the reopening process. Coconut Creek is fortunate to have a level of expertise in fostering our business community with and through our Chamber of Commerce, and for that reason, the strategies listed below will be developed and implemented in conjunction with the Coral Springs Coconut Creek Regional Chamber of Commerce.
The program will include an immediate relief grant program referred to as “Relief”, and a follow-up program referred to as “Restart”. The funding amount limit is $50,000 per cycle for two immediate cycles of the Relief Program, with an additional $150,000 allocated for the Restart Program, for a total of $250,000.
Submittals will be reviewed and considered in the order that they are received. Incomplete submittals will not be considered. Funds will be distributed in order of approval until all funds have been exhausted. Submittals can be emailed to email@example.com or dropped off at City Hall by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Call Sustainable Development at 954-973-6756 to set an appointment.
Submittals must include a complete, signed application and the following attachments.
Criteria for Approval:
Proof of property ownership and owner's consent, if applicable. Proof of ownership shall include the legal description of the property, property tax folio number, effective date of ownership of property, owner name and contact information. The applicant must provide an agent letter, notarized by the owner, authorizing the agent to represent the property owner at the time of submittal.
- Completed application
- Principal place of business must be located within the incorporated limits of the City of Coconut Creek (physical storefront).
- Business must have 25 or fewer employees as of February 29, 2020.
- Business must be a for-profit business with at least 1 payroll employee in addition to the business owners.
- Business must demonstrate a loss in revenue.
- Businesses that are temporarily closed or closed to the public must provide recovery/reopening plan.
- Proof of property ownership include the legal description of the property, property tax folio number, effective date of ownership of property, owner name and contact information. The applicant must provide an agent letter, notarized by the owner, authorizing the agent to represent the property owner at the time of submittal.
- A copy of executed lease agreement, if applicable.
- A copy of the Articles of Incorporation.
- A copy of all business tax receipts and applicable licenses including W9 form.
- A statement listing monthly gross income and monthly expenses for each of the last six months or, if not in business for six months, for each month of operation.
- A list of employee salaries/wages by position, as of November 1, 2019; February 29, 2020, and date of application.
- Description of how the grant funds will be used.
Funding under this Program is available to public-facing businesses (e.g. retail, restaurant, bar, gym, fitness, salons, barber shops, medical, legal services etc.) meaning businesses that under normal conditions provide goods and services which are provided to the general public at a physical walk-in location within the City of Coconut Creek that have been directly impacted by the public health requirements of COVID-19. To qualify, a business must have been affected by the Governor’s Executive Orders 20-52, 20-68, 2 20-71, 20-91, 20-92, and the City of Coconut Creek’s Declaration of a City-Wide State of Emergency that was declared on March 12, 2020 and extended weekly therefrom.
Expenditure of Funds
Available program funding is limited to $250,000. One hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) is designated for two successive cycles of the Immediate Relief Program. Each cycle will provide twenty (20) immediate emergency grants of two thousand five hundred ($2,500), for a total of forty (40) immediate emergency grants that may be authorized by the City Manager upon referral of completed applications by the Chamber of Commerce and verification by the Department of Sustainable Development. The remaining one hundred fifty thousand dollars ($150,000) of the funding, is designated for the follow-up Restart Program to provide five thousand ($5,000) grants to eligible businesses for startup costs such as inventory, rent, utilities, and salaries. Businesses may apply for both grants (Immediate and Relief and Restart) as funding becomes available.
Recipient Selection Criteria
Eligible business owners will be selected on a first-come, first-served basis, of those applicants meeting the criteria listed in the Eligible Incentive Strategies section below. Cycle 1 is reserved for businesses that have been deemed essential and continue to operate (May 1st – 15th).